MODES OF SPREAD
- Spreads by the bite of infected mosquito (culex species)
- Most people don't know they have lymphatic filariasis
- Swelling in the arms, breasts legs, and, for men, in the genital area
- Entire leg, arm, or genital area may swell to several times its normal size
- Hardening and thickening of the skin of affected part
Prevention includes giving entire communities medicine that kills the microscopic worms and controlling mosquitoes. Avoiding mosquito bites is another form of prevention. The mosquitoes that carry the microscopic worms usually bite between the hours of evenings and mornings.
- Sleep under a mosquito net.
- Use mosquito repellant on your exposed skin between evenings and mornings.
- Take a yearly dose of medicine that kills the worms circulating in the blood. The medicine will kill all of the microscopic worms in the blood and only a fraction of the adult worms.